Sunday, November 25, 2012

Telling Our Story - Part 2

I guess if you are reading this, part one didn't bore you to sleep. Well like I said, I didn't realize how much me getting lost in the woods that day would be setting the stage for my life.  I was a "free spirit", or at least that is how I was categorized. My dad said that it was being unrealistic. He said that I wouldn't amount to anything.  My mom didn't have much to say about it.  Either way, I kind of went to the beat of my own drum.

Shortly after that it was time for me to not be an only child.  My brother and sister, Robert and Amanda, were born.  I remember being at the hospital and looking through the glass seeing them laying in those little carts that they put newborns in.

To be honest, I don't remember much else after that until I was around 4 maybe 5 years old.  I remember when all the "big trucks" came to the farm.  Like I said earlier we raised chickens and cattle. Also, like I said, the giant farms were killing the little farms, and this was not exception.  My grandpa was put into a position to where raising chickens was becoming not profitable. So he was forced to get rid of them.  Large companies like Tyson, was coming in and pushing the little people around.  Either way, the "big trucks" as I called them were on the farm.  There seemed like hundreds of them, even though I realize there wasn't.  At that age, everything is exaggerated   

These trucks were here to load all of the chickens up and take them away. I didn't understand why, and I was confused at the moment.  That was until one of the drivers let me ride in one of the trucks from the house to one of the chicken houses.  I still remember this day like it was yesterday.  I was big stuff.  I got to ride in a "big truck".

This changed things around the farm quite a bit.  Raising chickens was a major part of our life.  Now that was gone.  I was unclear of how Grandpa felt about that, but I suspect that it bothered him.

I want to stop for a minute and talk about my Grandpa.  He was an amazing person.  I actually attest much of my personality to things that I picked up from him.  He was a loyal, caring, hard nosed, fair person.  He was never too busy to help people. He taught me, that a mans word was just as good as a signed contract, and your word was all that you had.  He was a hard worker.  That man could out work me and he was three times my age.  To put it bluntly, he was a dying breed, and that saddens me.  The world that we live in today is a world that is all about "what can you do for me?" He looked at things a little differently.  I wish that I become half the man he was.  Needless to say I respected that man dearly.

Where was I, oh yeah, the chickens sold. Well now that we were no longer in the chicken business, grandpa focused on other avenues.  He started to grow the cattle business. What kid didn't want to be a cowboy.  I spent many, many, many hours working on that farm.  Funny thing is I am sure that I worked harder on that farm in one day than I do today in a week.  Whats crazy about that is, I feel much more stressed now than I ever did then.

Life on the farm was quite a bit different than what many people know.  For instance, how many of you would say that it is normal to get up at 5am to feed cattle and complete other chores, before you go to school, or work?  Not many.  I personally now rarely ever see 5am.  I have become soft as I got older.

It was a simple life, and I loved it.  I now had a brother and sister.  They were pretty cute, and I mind the attention that they got.  I mean twins will always get attention, no matter where you go.  I might have had a problem, but I don't recall if I did.

I was not getting to the age to enjoy other things in life.  The most important of which was fishing. I had the perfect buddy for that, my uncle Bill. He was my grandma's brother and he LOVED to fish.  I remember that he used to come over to the farm and take me, and later on, Robert and Amanda, fishing.  Funny fact about Uncle Bill is his actual name was Walter Lee, but he went by Bill.  I still to this day don't understand how that happened.  I really enjoyed the times when we went fishing,  I would guess around the age of 7 or 8 and I remember catching a cat fish that was as long as I was tall.  I know what you are thinking, yeah right, but my mom actually has the pic to prove it.



No comments:

Post a Comment